Friday 25 November 2011

BOXING STUPID



A few weeks back someone gave me a box of gearbox bits which on closer inspection turned out to be mostly rigid Triumph, handy since i need one. Set too building it up this week to find that although my books of knowledge say that all Pre-Unit gearboxes are the same i seem to have two different diameter layshafts and various different gears and selectors. I stripped another rigid box i had with a damaged casing and after making up a layshaft bush and buying a couple of bearings we are ready to go. My Haynes manual for pre-units says assemble with the cam plate in 4th gear position without actually telling you what that is. I am presuming it is with the little hole to the top, can anyone confirm before i go ahead ?

Update. Worked it out..this is how it should sit to assemble.

3 comments:

OILY RAG said...

i think that when i built my gearbox i loosly assembled the changing mech' then clicked it untill it sat in what seemed like forth. then i took note of the position of the 'thingamejig' then put it together.it didnt work so i had a guiness, then 4 attempts later it seemed to work fine.
i know this is no help at all but ive just had me secound glass of wine.

Pete Stansfield said...

If it doesnt work i will try filling it with wine....

OILY RAG said...

if wine dont work try Guinness it's alot thicker.